Monday, November 19, 2007

Traveling

Well, karma is catching up with me...

The last 24 hours started out okay, but took a dive around 12 last night when I took my eye off my camera for 30 seconds in a crowded bar and it was stolen.

That's what I get for drinking tequila with Leo G, Bruce from Transportation and Deni down on Tongren.

So content on the 'site is going to be a tad dry and pictureless until I find a replacement.

I really liked my Canon Digital Rebel XT... Not sure I'll be able to find as good a deal as I got on that one... I got it for miles on continental.com's auction site. Now that I got a taste of using a D-SLR, I don't know if I could go back to a regular digicam.

Time will tell.

Well, I'm on the train to Hong Kong... I have two teenagers (18 & 19 y\o) from Hong Kong sharing my compartment, two guys who just spent 3 days riding their bikes at the huge skatepark in Shanghai...



Expect a long post about the last day of the TMC...

No pics though. No pics of the post party, or the great dinner we had at a different Hunan place.

Oh well, next update will be from Hong Kong...

TBG, cameraless, out-

Postscript!

Breaking news from Shanghai...

I got a message from SpongeMark late last night...turns out it was fortunate that I left when I did, and probably good that SpongeMark didn't make it...

The message read, basically, that Leo spent that night in jail in Shanghai.
Details are sparse, but the the gist goes that after I left, things got out of hand and some sort of altercation ensued.
Putting on my "Carnac the Great" turban and looking into the "what-might-have-been" I could see being there still when the fight started, getting involved, my camera getting stolen anyway, and spending the night and perhaps more in jail...
Had SpongeMark been there, the camera (presumably) wouldn't have been stolen, and then the same as above, but probably both of us would have wound up in the hoosegow.
Wouldn't that have been nice?...

6 comments:

Luc said...

My condolences for your lost. That sucks big time!!

Luc said...

Just thought of something: you sure SpongeMark isn't getting even with you?

southernoracle said...

Aww...so solly to hear! Skip on over and read about Derreck the Sound Guy - at least you're not him! :)

The Big Guy said...

Luc- I only wish that were the case.

Couldn't have been SpongeMark- he was with us at the post party, then when Leo, Deni, Bruce and I bailed for more boozing elsewhere (re: Only beer, whine and champagne at post party) The Sponge got caught by some sweet young thing as he was leaving and he missed the taxi.

See postscript to the original message.

TBG

Luc said...

Ok, here's what I would do: Since there's got to be great deals on cameras in HK, get one and expense it as being one of those doo dads that you need to your job that you do so well.

Anonymous said...

Interesting how everyone comments on the loss of your camera (which sucks big time)...but nothing about the magic word... JAIL??? and of all IDS people to end up there, Leo????

WTF????