Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Travelin' - Pittsburgh

I've just returned from a little sojourn to Pittsburgh to check out the Stadium for the NHL 2011 Winter Classic...
In my infinite wisdom I decided to drive from Jax to Three Rivers...
Just my luck, the trip coincided with the cold from/weather system that passed through the Northeast on the way out to sea...

I caught the leading edge on Tuesday night - As I climbed up I-77 outside Mt Airy I got rain and 25mph winds and finally hung it up in Hillsville VA. The next morning the snow started.

It was ugly as I crossed through West Virginia.

It too most of the day Wednesday to get to Pittsburgh.
The snow kept falling the whole time I was there, most of the time it was little pain-in-the-ass flurries, but there was some definite accumulation along the highways.

Had dinner with JR on Wednesday night where he came up with the Quote of the Week:
"I don't start rumors, but I'm not opposed to spreading them."
Nice.

Thursday we had our tour of the stadium...


This is where Bad Phil and The Boys will be working...


The view of the field from the scoring position.
Not too shabby.


Heinz Field Scoreboard in Hockey mode...
The space to the right is 16:9 for video and the space beneath the scorebox is for sponsor/marketing content.


This is the view back up to the Scoring Position from field level.

I got a peek at all the internal IT infrastructure in the stadium as part of my pre-planning for the game.

"Cut the gray wire............ But first, cut the blue wire."

The Winter Classic is going to be a hoot. Penguins vs. Capitals.
Be sure to tune in, 1:00 New Years Day.

I headed back- the weather was still crappy all the way down to Charlotte.
A bit stressful at times, but it was better than getting the full body rub from the TSA.

Next stop- Minneapolis

TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

1 comment:

blogger said...

Wow. What a trip and great pictures.

As most of you know by now, the Winter Classic just got 100% cooler...

The NHL announced a Pittsburgh vs. Washington alumni game to be held at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 31 at Heinz Field.

Confirmed for the game are: Mario Lemieux, Paul Coffey, Ron Francis, Bryan Trottier and Bill Guerin.

The “game” – and the ensuing Penguins practice – are only $25.

Go Pens, beat Caps!


http://2city.org/sports/winterclassic.html