Monday, March 03, 2008

Current Events - March 2008

Since I have been relatively stationary for the last few days (not counting the trips to Lauderdale and the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens) I’ve been spending more Quality Time with the Perfect Child...


I’ve even gotten her to sit still for a portrait or two.

I posted the shots of her and her beau, Beau, at the trap range a couple weeks ago.
We’ve also hit the indoor pistol range...


She’s tired of her .22 Walther. Decided she likes the .40 better.
It makes bigger holes in stuff.
Lovely.
I’m hesitant to load the 12 gauge with slugs or sabots... She could really do some damage with them.

We’ve been trading off DVDs recently too...

She recently sat me down to watch her current favorite movie, Julie Taymor’s Across the Universe...A musical set in the 60's to the music of the Beatles; Some 30 cover tunes of favorites like Come Together, I Am The Walrus, Hey Jude, and Strawberry Fields Forever...
The stars of the movie Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess and Dana Fuchs personalize their performance of the songs and do an excellent job, while some of the cameo performers like Bono and Joe Cocker are amazing. One of my particular favorites is Eddie Izzard’s cover of Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite; a truly inspired rendition.


“In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world! With the blue people! Don’t be late.”

And don’t miss Salma Hayek in "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

Oh My.

In return, I have been forcing her to watch Doctor Who with me...
I recently picked up the new seasons of the BBC classic series and have been enjoyed seeing the flavor flavour that Christopher Eccleston brought to the role as the ninth Doctor… They identify the chronology of the series as to which Doctor is in the role since the start of the series back 1963...



The BBC revived the series in 2005 with Eccleston as The Doctor and Billie Piper as his companion...
I used to watch Doctor Who back in the 70’s when Tom Baker (the fourth Doctor) had the title role and Elisabeth Sladen was his companion as Sarah Jane Smith along with the K9, the Tin Dog.



Eccleston only signed on to do the series for one season, and at the end of his stint during yet another showdown with the Daleks he was forced to regenerate and morphed into the tenth Doctor- played now by David Tennant. Billie Piper continued for one more season as The Doctor’s companion, but was replaced by Freema Aygeman for 2007 and 2008.


David Tennant and Billie Piper


Freema Aygeman and Tennant
I have the 2005 and 2006 series and next time I have 100 bucks lying around with nothing to do, I’ll be picking up 2007...

Meanwhile- back when I was in Atlanta I saw one of the Doctor Who spin-offs on the rack at Fry’s Electronics. It’s called Torchwood, aired starting in 2006 on BBC3...
Obviously I picked it up... It’s a little darker, definitely more adult-themed.


Torchwood is a institution started by Queen Victoria (see Doctor Who 2006 episode 3, Tooth and Claw) dealing with alien technology on Earth. This branch, Torchwood 3 is the Cardiff office of the Torchwood Institute (many jokes about it being CSI:Cardiff), headed by Captain Jack Harkness, played by the obscenely handsome John Barrowman; They operate separate from the government, outside the police, and beyond the United Nations... Nice work if you can get it.


A little bit Han Solo, a little bit Jack Sparrow, with a touch of Tom Cruise. Disgusting.

Harkness was also a character introduced in the 2005 Doctor Who series as a time-traveling con man that has since found employment saving the world from destruction.
It’s not for everyone, but I get a kick out of it…
If you’re homophobic, better skip this series, but I found this series to be very entertaining. I’m watching for the 2007 series to hit the racks. Good stuff.

Onward, through the fog.

TBG out-

No comments: