Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Something new I've been listening to...

Hi y'all-

I have recently had the pleasure of acquiring a satellite radio.
Wow. That is all I can say. Wow.

I got it just before I went on a cross country trip... Jax to LA and back.
From previous experience, I was looking for an alternative to chasing radio stations or carrying a stack of CDs or MP3s. I picked up an Audiovox portable unit and hit the road. I set up the service via phone as I got on the road... I got it set up in about 10 minutes. Activation was a snap. (Portable is relative. It is not a Walkman-style unit, it is portable in that you can move it easily from auto to auto. The walkman style is considerable more expensive. Evaluate your needs and make your own choices.)

I got service with XM Radio, but there is also Sirius... You need to do some research to see which one will give your favorite features, but with some notable exceptions they are very similar. There are channels for every imaginable music taste. Swing, 70s, 80s, 90s, Pop, Reggae, World Beat, Urban, Jazz... the list goes on. They also have tons of talk, sports, entertainment, and other non-music selections.
Sirius has exclusives on Howard Stern and Jimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville for instance, and XM has Opie & Anthony and all Major League Baseball games. Check out their websites to see all the features.
They are not fettered by alot of the FCC regulations, so quite a few of the channels are uncensored... Some of the urban music channels, the comedy channels and of course Stern and O&A have some pretty raw language. Now, they also have some more family friendly versions of the uncensored channels, but not for the headliners, so watch out if you want to listen to the Shock Jocks with the kids in the car...
For me. I spend a lot of time listening to the uncensored comedy channel, 70s and 80s music channels, Sonic Theater, and the Audio Classics- the old radio classics like The Shadow, Twilight Zone and The Lone Ranger. Cool Stuff.
When Hunter gets in the car she flips to the Top 20 channel, Soundtrax, and On Broadway. There is something for everyone...
After listening for a couple months, I have seen the end of broadcast radio...
Even though there is some commercial content, it is nothing compared to the 25 or more minutes of commercials you get with every hour of morning drive time on regular radio...

Check out satellite radio. You will love it.







TBG out-

No comments: