Saturday, January 26, 2013

If You Want Reasoned Discourse...

Just a quick note-
I had lunch today with Mr. WhyDoesAnyoneNeeda and Mr. IfItSavesOnlyOneChild...
(I should get a friggin' Oscar from my performance as "Ogre Not Dismembering Clueless Progressives That Soooo Desperately Deserve It")


I need to write up some ground rules for lunchtime conversation in order to keep my sanity...


1. Do your homework. (a/k/a You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.)
When you use "semi-auto rifle" and "machine gun" or "magazine" and "clip" interchangeably, your level of credibility drops considerably. Also- when you ask if my guns are "registered", you are showing your ignorance in extremis.


2. Using buzzwords will get you filed under M for "Misguided and Misled".
When you start using all the current Obama Administration-approved nomenclature like "Military-Style Assault Rifle", "High Capacity Clips" and "Cop Killer Bullets", well, it just indicates to my that you don't want to have a discussion, you just want to lecture me on your position.


3. Know Your Stats, and their background.
For instance: 40% of gun transactions are unregulated? Really?
That "40%" figure is one of the best examples of cherry-picking statistics. Read some of the facts here.

4. Don't discuss Gun Show Loopholes, and Internet Gun Purchases unless you have first-hand experience.
Because when you tell me about thousands of people people buying guns on the Internet and how it circumvents background checks, I will laugh in your face. And if you tell me you can go down to the gunshow and buy a machine gun, it will be doubly amusing and chortle-worthy.


5. Name Calling (gun nuts, right wing wackos, bitter clingers, Dirty Harry wannabes with a tiny penii) will require me to end the discussion and depart the premises before finishing tiffin. (And I just hate not finishing my tiffin.) It just shows you are unwilling to discuss things rationally and are just one step from going Godwin on me... At that point I will start feeling embarassed that I even know you.

 6. On the "If it only saves one child it will be worth it..." topic...
Why aren't you crusading against drunk drivers, bee stings, child abuse & neglect, swimming pool accidents etc. ad infinitum ...
(Actually I know the answer to that...
Once you have my my icky guns, then you'll come for my booze, swimming pool and my apiary...)


TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

4 comments:

Tango Juliet said...

Absolutely!

Old NFO said...

Yep, good set of rules... Too bad the left doesn't know how to read them...

Dan said...

There you go being all demanding again, so they'll come out with their rules now:
- no critical thinking allowed
- only liberal propaganda is acceptable reference material
-you're a racist

Bug said...

...and of course, Free Speech (as long as you agree with me).

I'm gonna send an email to my Senator suggesting a counter bill to Feinstein's "scary looking gun" ban bill. This bill would proclaim Capital Hill to be a "gun free zone" and that means they won't need armed guards. If these zones magically protect children then its the perfect solution to their security needs.