Sunday, August 14, 2011

Quote of the Day - In Da 'Hood edition.

Background - What good is being in these different cities if you don't get a taste of the local cuisine? And by all means, let's try to patronize the small business owners. So, it's my turn to pick a place to eat- let's find some good ol' Chi-Town Bar-B-Que.
I consult the oracle...
"Oh Mighty Google, Find us some BBQ near the UC. Some place tasty. And not too expensive..."

Here ya go:

Mary's BarBQ

Ok..Perfect- Pulaski and Harrison. Not too far away.

Kids- I thought the UC was in the 'Hood.
Nope.

Pulaski and Harrison is the 'Hood...

So... As we (finally) arrived at Mary's after numerous stops, starts, going the wrong way down one-way streets, and getting examined as if we were on a menu by some rather dubious-looking gentlemen on the street corners, John uttered the words that might have been needed for his tombstone, had we not seen the error of our ways...
"Are you kidding? I'm not getting outta the car.
I'm a white guy in khakis... I wouldn't last 5 minutes down here."

No BBQ for us.

Damn.

I was just trying to broaden their horizons.

TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

2 comments:

kx59 said...

good call. I walked through some dubious areas in search of food in Oakland in the early nineties.
All the eyeballs on you will give you a tingly feeling all over (and not the good kind of tingly)

Luc said...

Reminds me of the time I got out at the wrong station using the MART in Atlanta back in 1992 a few hours before the night of the "Rodney King Riots". Boy did we get out of Dodge City fast.