Friday, September 21, 2012

Living My Life Like A Song - Part 1

There was a meme going around a while back... Basically it was "your history in music"...
It got me thinking about music I like, songs that have meaning for me, and ones that I put in my playlists for driving and working...

There seems to be a preponderance for Jimmy Buffett in my music library- growing up in the Keys you couldn't avoid him.
I even met him a couple times down in Key West just as his career was taking off- after Come Monday and just as Margaritaville was hitting the charts...
His politics are pitiful and his hypocrisy is rampant... Look up the lyrics to Makin' Music For Money, then listen to the way he slams cover bands, lyric sites, and  people who do one-off t-shirt designs for personal use. His lawyers hit them with both feet...
So... I'll do my best to avoid contributing to his causes and to his bottom line - (i.e. no concerts, no purchasing of CDs, etc) and I have nothing but contempt for so-called Parrotheads.

That being said- there is still quite a bit of Buffett on my iTunes library, and the songs evoke quite a bit of nostalgia.



So, to start the series off- From one of his earlier albums, Living and Dying in 3/4 Time- I had this 8-Track in the Burning Plymouth and it got a huge amount of play...
Pencil-Thin Mustache, Saxophones, and the Lord Buckley classic Gods Own Drunk...
But this one gave me food for thought, and made the Cafe Du Monde of the must-visit locations for my first visit to New Orleans years later...
...
Coffee is strong at the Cafe Du Monde
Donuts are too hot to touch
Just like a fool, when those sweet goodies cool
I eat 'til I eat way too much

'Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me
Be they pastries, lobsters or love,
I'm just tryin' to get by bein' quiet and shy
In a world full of pushin' and shove

And the Wino and I know the pain of back bustin'
Like the farmer knows the pain of his pickup truck rustin'
It's a strange situation, wild occupation
Just livin' my life like a song
The Wino and I Know - Jimmy Buffett

I have been living my life like a song...
Several songs, as this series will probably tell you...


TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Buffet- Music good=politics suck... sigh

Bug said...

A good friend sent me to Cafe Du Monde when he found out I was headed to Nawlins... glad he did, good stuff.

Thanks TBG

DHenderson64 said...

Nothing like commercialization to ruin some great music. Been to Margaritaville Orlando a couple of times, with business associates and on their dime. Nothing says "I've made it" like charging $14 for a chessburger!

DHenderson64 said...

Nothing like comercialization to ruin some great music. I've been to Margaritaville Orlando a couple of times. Always with business associates and on their dime. Nothing say "I've finally made it" like charging $14 for a cheeseburger and some lousy service.