Monday, August 07, 2006

Ouch. I was tagged with a meme!



The March Hare, purveyor of fine conservative observations at The Mad Tea Party, tagged me with this Book Meme. I'm flattered she believes my literary opinions might be interesting...

1.) One book that changed your life:
The Way Things Work: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Technology (1973 edition)
I got this book for my 12th birthday and it opened my eyes to an understanding of not only "what" something did, but also showed the "why and how"... I also taught me never to be afraid to go after some piece of hardware with a screwdriver and a hacksaw. Or a hammer if those didn't work.

2.) One book you've read more than once:
So many to choose from... How about the one(s) I've re-read them most?
The Lord of the Rings trilogy...

3.) One book you'd want on a desert island:
Eschewing the obvious (Raft-building for Dummies, etc)
I'd have to go with "The Complete Works of Mark Twain".

4.) One book that made you laugh:
"The Screwtape Letters" by CS Lewis.

5.) One book that made you cry:
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry
"Suddenly he screamed, and it was as though this scream were being tossed from one tree to another, as it's echos returned, then, as though the trees themselves were crowding nearer huddled together, closing over him, pitying...

Somebody threw a dead dog after him down the ravine."


6.) One book that you wish had been written:
"How to understand and cope with idiots in your life without resorting to overt violence and/or dismemberment."
(Doubtless I will need this when Hunter starts dating.)

7.) One book that you wish had never been written:
"Flashback" by Nevada Barr- It has caused me *so* many dumb questions and stupid visitor encounters in the Dry Tortugas.

8.) One book you're currently reading:
"The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer" by Neal Stephenson


9.) One book you've been meaning to read:
"Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation"
by Lynne Truss

10.) Tag five others:
Deidre at Time and Tides
Kim on The Mailboat
Jess at Jessica's Diary
and
Zach at The Wrong Way

Sorry-I can only come up with 4... Most of the other blogs that I frequent probably wouldn't participate.
(Or, we wouldn't want the feed back from, in the case of some sites like Reverse Cowgirl, etc.)

No comments: